Sunday, January 24, 2010

Black Ridge, Pinot Noir 2006 (Central Otago, New Zealand), $29, 13.5%

A few years back I was a Garagiste Wine junkie. It was a painful day I had to unsubscribe to their tempting emails, but I had a mortgage to pay, so no more impulse buys (damn you, internet). It was that bad.

I’ve had a 90% success rate with Garagiste’s selections, meaning I never tasted a thing they offered before I bought it, and I loved 90% of that. To me, that’s an awesome hit rate. And their draw is very affordable wines too. See why I was heading down a path to poverty?

On to the wine.

It’s actually really yummy. Burgundy it is not, but the wine is going down the path of ripe California fruit + minerality like you’d find in Burgundy + New Zealand funk I get on a lot of Central Otago wines. All three components in equal amounts. That green rot ‘funky’ has always turned me off on New Zealand Pinot Noirs, and here it’s subtle enough to add complexity. Medium intensity of classic red-fruit Pinot Noir aromas jump out at you and the sour fruit finish goes on for about 30 seconds. Really yummy. Sad I only picked up four bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment