Friday, February 12, 2010

The Long Thirst: Prohibition in America 1920-1933 by Thomas M. Coffey

I'm a sucker for used book stores, and I picked up this one on my most recent visit to Paris. Published in 1975, it's the story about prohibition woven from the point of view of a whole (real) cast of characters from both sides of the Volstead Act during it's 13-year validity.

It's written like a novel, the author not getting too deep, so it's a pleasant little read. On the back cover, the Chicago Tribune says "It is a story told in terms of colorful individuals who move in and out of an elaborate gallimaufry of rascality and foolishness."

Yea.

What he said.


What I'm most amused with right now is that I'm drinking a domestic Pinot Noir while reading a book about prohibition!! That almost qualifies as ironic!

Or maybe it's just the 14.5% abv talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment