Saturday, April 3, 2010

Are wine bottles waterproof?

I guess I'll find out shortly.


I store most of my bottles in a pre-fab cellar room in the basement of my house in Greenport, NY. The house is about a block or so from the harbor. We've had a number of nor'easters visit us over the past two weeks. And I just learned what a "water table" is and how it works.

Six inches of water in the basement. It's presumably been there since Tuesday. I just found out on Saturday.



My cellar is slightly off the ground, so there's only about two inches in the cellar. Still, the bottom row was soaked, so I've pulled those bottles out to dry. Actually, I'm impressed at how well the labels have stood up. But the real test will be pulling the cork. And for even more fun, there were two German rieslings with twist caps.

So I'll let you know how it goes over the next few days.

Back to water pumping.

1 comment:

  1. As the cork keeps the wine in, it should be able to keep the water out for a short period of time just fine.

    If the labels are holding up, at this point I'd be most concerned about minor mold or mildew growth under the capsules. Just be careful when you open the wet bottles in the future.

    ReplyDelete